Banner image

Report: Worcester Wolves 88-85 Bristol Flyers (2OT)

Bristol Flyers suffered a heart wrenching double overtime defeat on the road against Worcester Wolves.

Gentrey Thomas led all scorers with 21 points, adding 15 rebounds and 10 assists to complete a triple-double performance. New signing Eric Lockett filled the box score with 11 points, five rebounds and two assists off the bench.



Flyers got off to a rocky start with turnovers and easy looks for the Wolves allowing them to complete a 13-0 run early in the game. Bristol stabilised with a strong post move from Raphell Thomas-Edwards to score the lay-up. Thomas scythed through the lane for a reverse lay-up but Wolves were able to answer each Flyers score. The run made the difference with Wolves building a 28-15 lead at the end of the first period.

Worcester came out firing and extended their lead to a game-high 18 points early in the second quarter. Thomas connected with Thomas-Edwards on a drive and kick for a corner three, then followed-up by sending his defender sailing by with a pump fake to sink a step-back three. Lockett made his presence felt coming off the bench. His quick hands on defence allowed him to get out in transition to slam home and alley-oop dunk from Thomas. Flyers were able to claim the second quarter to make it 45-33 at half-time.

Bristol maintained their strong defence throughout the second half, generating much-needed stops to chip away at the Wolves lead. Thomas-Edwards kept the Flyers offence flowing, hitting Delpeche on a slip to the basket for an easy score to cut the lead to single digits. Back to back threes from Lewis Champion and Thomas-Edwards kept the deficit shrinking and Flyers had cut it to 58-51 by the end of the third.
Wolves battled hard to hold on to their remaining margin throughout the fourth. A three-pointer from Bradley with just two minutes remaining cut the lead to just three points. Flyers locked in to secure another stop and Thomas-Edwards cleaned up the glass for a put back basket to cut it to one. Another second chance opportunity was converted by Lockett to give Flyers their first lead of the game with 30 seconds remaining. Amir Williams got to the foul line and sank one of two free-throws to tie the game at 70 points. Neither team were able to break the deadlock with their final offences, sending the game into overtime.

Bradley battled his way back to the free throw line but could only connect with one of the foul shots. Successive trips to the line for Wolves yielded similarly mixed results. Thomas put his team back in control with a strong drive to the basket. He then hauled in a defensive rebound and found Daniel Edozie in the paint for another score. Thomas catalysed Flyers’ next score too, finding Lockett on the perimeter for a huge three-pointer. Wolves back court of Cortez Edwards and Mark Hughes stepped up to make clutch scores down the stretch; Edwards was able to tie the game at 80 points to force a second period of overtime.

Hughes was the hometown hero, hitting a huge three-pointer to give Wolves an 88-82 lead. Flyers never stopped fighting and a late triple from Thomas combined with a crucial steal gave them a chance to close the gap once more. Bristol were able to generate multiple offensive possessions through their hustle play but could not connect before time expired, falling 88-85.