Banner image

Report: Worcester Wolves 88-56 Bristol Flyers

Bristol Flyers' struggles this season continued with a crushing loss away at Worcester Wolves.

Worcester built up a big lead in the first quarter and never looked back on their way to a 88-56 victory.

Hameed Ali led the way for Flyers with 17 points whilst Maurice Walker scored 21 for Wolves.

Flyers began the game with the same starting five that was so competitive in the early stages of the game with the Eagles last Saturday, Hameed Ali, Greg Streete, Brandon Boggs, Daniel Edozie and Mike Vigor.

Both teams were sluggish to get going in front of the BBC Sport cameras. Worcester won the tip and laboured to a four-point advantage early on, Flyers taking a full two and a half minutes before putting their first score on the board, Ali with the jump shot.

Marek Klassen extended Wolves’ lead at the mid-way point in the first quarter with a nice move, before Coach K introduced Aaron Cosby for his first appearance in a Flyers jersey. But it was Wolves who pressed home their advantage with back-to-back threes without reply, to extend the lead to 11 points.

Wolves’ defence was certainly on top in the opening period, limiting Flyers to long range attempts and putting Bristol on the free throw line repeatedly.

Wolves' offence had no such trouble, scoring at will. Three threes saw the gap extended to 21 points, before Leslee Smith and Ali made the score more respectable heading into the second, 30-12 to Wolves.

Flyers’ defensive woes continued early in the second, Ashton Khan weaving his way through before the nice layup. Bristol would need to hope their shooting performance could dramatically improve to find a way back into the game, captain Streete offering a glimmer of hope with a three from deep.

Wolves were now first to every rebound, Flyers really under pressure, down by 23. Coach K called a timeout and emphasised the amount of time left in the game to try and inspire his troops to make the game more of a contest.

The pattern of the game continued however, Wolves having open looks repeatedly and Flyers offence continuing to struggle, shooting just 20% for the first half.

Trevor Setty drew a foul by Boggs and sunk both free throws to put Worcester on 50 points with a minute and a half left to play in the second. Paul James’ men took a commanding lead into the second half, 54-26.

The shooting performance failed to improve immediately after the break, Flyers repeatedly missing their shots when left wide open. Wolves meanwhile looked more like the side who finished in the top four last year, rather than their comparative struggles so far this season.

Worcester were relentlessly consistent when presented with chances to extend their lead, up by 31 as the third quarter ended, 73-42.

Realistically, pride was all there was left to play for in the final period, with Flyers looking to win the quarter and reduce the final deficit.

Wolves however had different ideas, continuing their fine form and extending their lead to 32 points by the end of the game. Worcester winning 88-56.