Banner image

Report: Worcester Wolves 74-70 Bristol Flyers

Bristol Flyers suffered a comeback defeat to Worcester Wolves away from home in the first game of their weekend doubleheader.

Gentrey Thomas scored 20 points from the bench and Daniel Edozie filled up the box score with 11 points and seven rebounds, but it wasn't enough to extend Flyers' three-game win streak in the BBL Cup.



Flyers got off to a quick start with Edozie hitting from the short corner and Lewis Champion spotting up for a three-pointer. But an evenly-matched first quarter saw the teams exchange the lead several times. Edozie stepped up for the Flyers, hitting multiple shots in the mid-range and working his way to the free throw line to keep the points coming. Worcester edged ahead at the end of the quarter 19-17.

Flyers increased their defensive intensity in the second period, forcing turnovers and finding points in transition. Gentrey Thomas caught fire, hitting multiple three-pointers in the period on his way to 16 first half points.

The scoring explosion allowed Flyers to swiftly build a double figure lead. Flyers closed out the quarter strong with Gentrey Thomas finding Edozie rolling to the basket for a lay-up through contact; Edozie completed the three-point play at the foul line to make it 28-40 at half time.

The third quarter opened with Williams troubling Flyers in the low post, this time turning distributor and finding cutting team-mates for lay-ups. Edozie adjusted his defence to snatch away the next attempted pass, releasing Fred Thomas for a lay-up.

A Levi Bradley three-pointer gave Flyers their biggest lead of the game at 15 points and prompted a Wolves time-out. Cortez Edwards gave the Wolves a needed boost with a steal and transition dunk. Levi Bradley stepped up for the Flyers, hitting a much needed three-pointer and a step back jumpshot to keep the lead in double figures.

After a tough perimeter shooting night, Wolves backcourt began to dial-in from long range with both Maarten Bouwknecht and Mark Hughes connecting. Wolves won the third quarter by just one point to narrow the margin to 49-60.

Wolves' defence tightened up in the final quarter and Flyers struggled to find ways to score. Hughes stayed hot, hitting another three pointer and stepping inside the arc to dodge a late closeout and score again. A much-needed Chris Taylor three stemmed the bleeding and prompted a Wolves time-out.

Flyers continued to misfire and Edwards took advantage with multiple inside scores. Wolves’ Captain Bouwknecht was able to sink two dagger three-pointers to bring the game within a point. Bouwknecht was active on the offensive glass creating an extra possession after a missed free throw and stealing the ball quickly after a Flyers rebound to set-up a Williams alley-oop dunk to put Wolves ahead by three.

With the momentum and the lead regained, Wolves continued to lock down on defence. A pair of Flyers timeouts generated a much-needed score for Gentrey Thomas. 
Bouwknecht was able to seal the win with a final pair of free-throws 74-70.