Banner image

Report: Welsh National Team 49-73 Bristol Flyers

Bristol Flyers picked up their first victory of pre-season, 49-73 against the Welsh National Team at the Cardiff Met Archers Arena.

What happened

The young Welsh team hosted the Flyers in their second pre-season friendly, allowing both teams to work on their chemistry and improve their skills as a team. 

Flyers took the lead with an early two points after which both teams struggled to score for several minutes.

It was clear they focused on defence after the hard push USA Select gave the Flyers in Thursday’s game.

The Welsh team struggled from the field but managed to steal the ball before a foul by Vigor closed the gap to 3-4 for the home team.

A three-pointer from former Flyers guard Asa Waite, gave Wales the lead but it wasn’t long after, that Adam Weary and Leslee Smith scored back-to-back baskets, bringing the score to 8-6.

After an unsuccessful fastbreak, a failed three point shot by Stocks gave Wales the motivation to close the gap and a three point shot on the buzzer took them into the lead.

Flyers were able to steal the ball from the opposition and took the opportunity to score which saw Brandon Boggs make the first three-point shot for the Flyers, shortly followed by another turnover to give Daniel Edozie the chance to widen the gap.

During the final ten seconds, a mess on the court as players went down giving Boggs another opportunity - dunking the ball to take Flyers well into the lead, 18-9 at the end of the first period.

Flyers stepped up the intensity during the second quarter, as back to back turnovers increased morale and Wales were unable to score during the first two minutes.

The home team were desperate to reduce Flyers’ 11 point lead and the frustration could be seen as they failed to make the basket, giving Flyers possession which allowed Weary a successful three point shot.

A fastbreak gave Flyers the opportunity for an even larger gap as Weary completed the three-point-play to give them a 20-point lead to bring the score to 32-12.

Both teams struggled to score for several minutes at the beginning of the second half and a long play from Wales saw the shot clock expire. Weary widened the gap before yet another steal giving Boggs the chance to take Flyers into the lead by 30 points.

Wales then scored a three point shot from deep, closely followed by a fast break by Waite, closing the gap to 48-23 with five minutes left in the third quarter. 

Boggs' offensive rebound allowed him to make another basket from the outside to give Flyers a 59-30 lead heading into the final ten minutes.

A quick score from Boggs and a steal from Vigor gave Weary the opportunity for a three-point shot, but it span off the rim before he stole it back for the open score.

With four minutes to play, another two from Boggs increased the score to 71-41 giving Flyers a comfortable 30 point lead once again.

Wales pace through with back-to-back lay-ups before Weary held the ball during the final 20 seconds to give Flyers the win, 49-73.

Social media post of the game