Banner image


Owen Parker


Posted Monday, April 8th 2019

Report: Team Derby Spartans 89-83 Bristol Flyers II

Bristol Flyers II were knocked out of the play-offs after a closely-contested road defeat in Derby.

Roy Owen led his team, filling out the box score with 18 points, seven rebounds, six assists and four steals.


Flyers got off to a hot start with Owen finding Rhys Farrell in the paint for a lay-up. Flyers worked to deny Boyd the ball and profited with an early turnover and fast break score for Jordan Daniels. A Spartans miss allowed Farrell to run the floor for an easy score. Spartans’ Mitchell Nelson answered with a three pointer. A Flyers turnover led to Ronald Oberia making it to the foul line to keep the score close. Farrell knocked down a three-pointer, but Boyd answered with a triple of his own.

With the teams trading baskets, the Spartans’ full court press gave them an edge, with Nelson stealing a wayward pass and hitting another three to give them their first lead of the game. Flyers’ big man Jakub Kulig answered with a put back score but Spartans hot shooting from the outside continued with Nelson and Boyd both hitting further threes. A slashing drive to the basket from Alex DeHaan ended the quarter with Flyers behind 22-24.

Andy Galloway opened with more bench points for Flyers in the second period. Spartans big-man George Calvey was a towering presence in the paint and converted multiple scores from drives and dishes and second chance opportunities. He finished the game with a 12 point, 12 rebound double-double. Flyers found their range temporarily with Jack Craggs hitting back-to-back threes to retake the lead.

Scores from Owen and Daniels led a 10-0 run to restore Flyers' lead. Oberia heated up with a basket inside the arc and followed with back to back threes. Boyd tied the game with a last minute three pointer heading into half-time 47-47.

A challenging third quarter saw Flyers offence sputtering, while Boyd continued to dominate for Spartans. Flyers quickly found themselves in foul trouble and Mann was forced to the bench with three further fouls in the period. A 9-0 run to close the quarter including back to back threes from Boyd saw Flyers suddenly in a hole.

Flyers started the fourth strong with Stephen Foard recognising his defender sagging back and hitting a three over him. Boyd answered but Flyers were able to find Mann good looks on the perimeter after his extended rest and he hit two threes of his own to cut into the lead.

Flyers' aggressive drives were rewarded with multiple trips to the free throw line, but more paint scoring from Calvey kept the game out of reach. A dagger three from Berny Kanyinda put the lead back in double figures. A costly turnover allowed Oberia to go coast to coast for a two handed dunk. Owen and Craggs were both able to get to the foul line down the stretch to cut into the lead and with 30 seconds to play, a huge three pointer from Owen cut the deficit to just four points. An ill-fated drive into traffic resulted in another late turnover and an Oberia breakway dunk to seal Spartans win.

Flyers finish their first season in Division Three South with a third-place finish and a closely contested play-off quarter-final. The team will be back in National League action next year with trials to be held over the summer period.

For more information, contact:

Image Credit - B.East Photography