Banner image

Report: Surrey Scorchers 87-90 Bristol Flyers

Bristol Flyers completed their back to back road trip with a bounce back win in Surrey.

Six players finished in double figures, led by a team-high 17 points from Justin Baker.


Flyers opened up an early lead with Daniel Edozie completing a three point play. Ben Mockford followed-up with a three-pointer and Eric Lockett created open lanes to the basket. A steal and pass ahead from Teddy Okereafor released Marcus Delpeche for a finger roll finish. 

With both teams coming off a game the previous night, their benches saw early action. Baker was immediately effective in the paint for Flyers and Josh Wilcher was able to get to the hoop through the harm for a three point play.

Scorchers Evan Walshe and Caylin Raftopoulous showed their range. Walshe was able to draw multiple shooting fouls with strong drives, but Flyers responded with trips to the foul line for Panos Mayindombe and their better accuracy saw the lead extending further.

Scorchers’ latest addition Cameron Hildreth checked in, hot off a game winning lay-up in the BBL Trophy the previous night. The 18-year-old Wake Forest commit got straight to work in his first BBL Championship game, closing out the quarter with a driving lay-up to make it 22-30.

A pair of threes from Okereafor and Mockford extended the lead to twelve points early in the second quarter. Scorchers’ Captain Tayo Ogedengbe answered with a triple of his own. Raftopoulos found himself open on the arc and hit another three-pointer.

Tony Hicks heated up for the visitors, driving to the basket for a trio of scores. Flyers tenacity on the offensive glass gave them second chance scoring opportunities. Back-to-back threes from Hicks gave Scorchers a lead, but another put-back basket from Baker cut it to 47-49 heading into half time.

Lockett took charge for Flyers, stealing the ball and going coast to coast for a lay-up then battling to the free throw line. With the two teams trading baskets, a three from Ogedengbe gave Scorchers some daylight and Coach Kapoulas took a timeout to ensure the lead did not get out of control.

Flyers’ locked down on defence and scores from the frontcourt of Baker and Edozie allowed them to tie the game. Another offensive rebound and put back, this time from Lockett, gave Flyers a 67-68 edge.

Scorchers pulled ahead with Ogedengbe again doing the damage. Baker was able to draw a foul on a three-point attempt and made all three shots. Mockford tied the game at 74 with a corner three.

A drop off pass from Martelle McLemore set Rickman up for a two-handed dunk. Delpeche went to work at the low block, drawing a shooting foul and then banking in another hook shot to put Flyers ahead. Ogedengbe finished a driving lay-up, but a three-pointer from Wilcher kept Bristol narrowly out of reach. Mockford compounded the damage, making it a two possession game with two minutes remaining.

Hicks drove straight at the defence for a tough finish but a pull-up three from Wilcher gave Coach Creon Raftopoulos cause to pause the game. Hicks was relentless attacking the basket and succeeded in drawing more foul shots making it a one point game with seconds remaining.

Flyers used the clock well and forced the home team to foul to regain possession. Mockford calmly iced both free throws to restore a three point margin with three seconds remaining. 

Scorchers got the ball to Hildreth on the perimeter, but Lockett stayed in front to force the shot wide and claim the win.