Banner image

Report: Surrey Scorchers 102-97 Bristol Flyers (OT)

Bristol Flyers were unable to complete a double winning weekend, going down 102-97 after five minutes of overtime.

Despite Rohndell Goodwin's 23 points, Flyers fall to 17-14 on the season.

Box Score

what happened

After winning the opening tip, Daniel Edozie was able to get Bristol on the board early with a drive and lay-up. Bristol’s lead wasn’t to last long though as Tony Hicks’ three-point shot dropped to give Surrey the lead in the opening minute.

A back-and-forth start saw free throws made at either end but the Scorchers were able to build a seven-point lead after a 6-0 run. Rohndell Goodwin ended Bristol’s brief cold streak with the jumper before Leslee Smith added two more in the post, cutting that lead back down to three.

Where Bristol excelled last night in offensive rebounding, the Scorchers were doing the same, able to get inside for second chance points. And Surrey were able to push the score to 17-10 after Gerald Robinson’s deep three increased his personal scoring to nine, early on.

Rohndell Goodwin continued his good early start with another jumper but Alex Owumi was able to answer back for the home side and quickly, the Flyers found themselves trailing by ten, forcing Coach Kapoulas into a timeout.

Malcolm Delpeche came out of the timeout with a score in the post but once against Bristol had no answers to the Surrey offence as the deficit increased to 15 on Tayo Ogedengbe’s corner three.

Brandon Boggs flushed his first points of the game on an alley-oop finish in the second from Goodwin’s pass in the paint and Malcolm Delpeche’s hook shot added to Bristol’s scoring, Surrey though were able to answer back once again as Levi Noel’s three dropped.

After a missed three in the corner from Weary, the ball bounced around the paint until Weary got another chance, making no mistake the second time around. Bristol then cut the deficit to seven on a Goodwin jumper and Malcolm Delpeche lay-up, forcing Surrey into a timeout in an attempt to stop the Flyers run.

Brandon Boggs made the tough finish in the paint and a three from the top of the arc to continue Bristol’s comeback and when Rohndell Goodwin got  to the basket for an up-and-under, Bristol were able to take a one-point lead.

Leslee Smith came straight out of a timeout and drove to the basket for two and Jordan Davis was then fouled on the three-point attempt to regain Bristol’s lead, making all three for a two-point advantage. Smith was then able to make the long jumper and confirm the Flyers would head into the break with the lead.

Rohndell Goodwin continued his great scoring effort with a three with the shot clock down to a second. Tony Hicks though, who caused the Flyers so many problems in Bristol earlier in the season, was able to drive in and get his second half scoring underway.

After Gerald Robinson put the Scorchers into the lead it was Adam Weary who put the Flyers back in front and he then turned provider, passing over to Goodwin to extend that lead after Tony Hicks’ offensive foul on Chris Taylor.

A long two from Weary and Rohndell Goodwin’s transition three forced the Scorchers into a timeout and Gerald Robinson was again the man to help the Scorchers back into the game with a three of his own in the corner. But as the clock ran out, Brandon Boggs finished the neat spin move in the post to give the Flyers an eight point lead with a quarter left to play.

Surrey came out refreshed after the break, attacking Bristol and after Tony Hicks and-one early in the fourth, Bristol found their lead cut down to just a single possession at three points.

Brandon Boggs tipped in Malcolm Delpeche’s lay-up to keep Bristol in command but another and-one, this time from Gerald Robinson, ensured the Scorchers would keep the pressure on the Flyers. Flyers up by two.

Josh Steel was able to give the Scorchers the lead with a corner three but Brandon Boggs wasn’t happy to let that stand with a three of his own at the other end. A three though for Caylin Raftopoulos was able to put Surrey back in poll position.

Both teams began to exchange baskets as the game was repeatedly tied up until Jordan Davis’ corner three and Adam Weary’s lay-up gave the Flyers the lead. Tayo Ogedengbe’s three though once again put the pressure on.

With Surrey looking for an open shot as the clock ran out, they weren’t able to find one with the game needing overtime to settle it. 92-92 at the end of four.

Jordan Davis was able to get things started in the perfect way for the Flyers in overtime as he drained a three but Ogedengbe’s dunk on the fast break cut the Bristol lead once again with half of the period complete. And it was Ogedengbe again, this time from three, to put the Scorchers in front.

Once again on the fast break it was Tayo Ogedengbe again and suddenly Surrey’s lead was up the five and Bristol’s scoring for the period was just that single three from Davis to start. 

Bristol weren’t able to score again until it was too late as a 10-0 run for Surrey proved too much in the extra period, coming away as winners in a tough loss for the Flyers; 97-102.

Next home game

Bristol Flyers v Leeds Force
BBL Championship
Friday, April 27th