Banner image

Report: Glasgow Rocks 79-87 Bristol Flyers

Bristol Flyers swept the season series against Glasgow Rocks with an eight point win on the road.

Josh Wilcher led all scorers with 18 points adding four assists and three rebounds.



Rocks built an early lead, but Flyers stayed composed and three point shooting from Justin Baker kept them level. Daniel Edozie finished a scrappy sequence with a lay-up and a technical on Rocks veteran Jonny Bunyan allowed Teddy Okereafor to stretch the lead at the foul line. Wilcher checked in and went straight to work, drawing fouls and knocking down free throws. Wilcher and Edozie combined for an 8-0 run to finish the first quarter with Bristol ahead 11-24.

Wilcher fed Edozie for a lay-up to open the second period, but Rocks responded with three-point scoring from French forward Marc Kwedi and player coach Gareth Murray. Marcus Delpeche and Eric Lockett rotated back to the floor and took over scoring duties. Fraser Malcolm had a couple of highlight plays for Glasgow, with a drive and dunk, followed by a spot-up three. Thomas-Edwards sank a three of his own and Okereafor drove to the basket to bring the score to 34-50 at the half.

Rocks came out ready to battle in the second half, starting with an 11-0 run including two threes from Bunyan. Delpeche stopped the bleeding with a well-executed post move and Lockett quickly answered Bunyan’s third three of the quarter. Big three-pointers from the Flyers back court of Wilcher and Okereafor put the lead back in double figures, but Rocks made another run. Edozie battled with Boban Jacdonmi at both ends trading baskets. Murray and Bunyan lit up the scoreboard to close the gap to 65-66 at the end of the third.

Flyers were successful in generating defensive stops and attacking the basket to draw fouls early in the fourth. Three point plays from Lockett, Okereafor and Baker re-established the lead. Flyers defence remained effective, generating a shot clock violation, allowing Baker to stretch the lead further. Coach Murray took a timeout with the margin at 13 points with just five minutes remaining. Baker continued his efficient scoring, netting the last of his 14 points, finishing on 83% from the field.

Rocks picked up their defensive intensity and a series of stops enabled a quick 6-0 run. Coach Kapoulas called timeout with two minutes to play and Wilcher sank a deep three-pointer to steady Flyers heading into the stretch. Good clock management allowed Bristol to secure the 79-87 win.