Banner image


Owen Parker


Posted Sunday, September 16th 2018

Report: Bristol Flyers II 85-77 Huish Taunton Tigers

Bristol Flyers II progressed to the second round of the National Cup with an 85-78 win over local rivals Huish Taunton Tigers.

Flyers were led by Curtly Ferguson who had a double-double of 20 points, 12 rebounds, five steals and four assists.  David Mann also had a 17 point, ten rebound double-double, whilst Alex Potter led all scorers with 25 points.



Flyers got off to a strong start behind hot shooting from David Mann. A further steal and fast break layup from Mann capped the run at 10-0 and forced an early timeout from Tigers coach Richard Anderson. Tigers responded well, upping their game on defence and pressuring the paint on offence.  The Tigers were able to draw multiple fouls and convert from the free throw line.  Returning Tigers player Alex Potter got going and amassed 15 points in the first period alone. Flyers were further shaken when veteran guard Aistis Keliauskas sustained a knee injury coming down with a rebound and had to be helped off court.  The quarter ended with Flyers behind 20 - 27.

The momentum stayed with Tigers at the start of the second quarter and they built their lead out to as many as 16 points.  Some nice passing from Captain Paul Yabsley found teammates for open shots - Yabsley dished seven assists total in the game.  With five minutes left in the second period, Flyers trailed 28-44.

Flyers guard Stephen Foard brought energy and scoring off the bench making six points in a row himself.  He finished the game with 16 points. Tigers struggled to answer as Owen and Curtly Ferguson turned up the intensity and added further fast break scoring. Strong drives to the basket drawing fouls led to Tigers getting into the penalty with multiple trips to the free throw line for Bristol.  Flyers completed an 18-2 run to head into half time with the game tied at 46 points apiece.

Photo Credit: Billy East

Flyers held the momentum coming out of half-time with an Owen three-pointer to retake the lead. Ferguson continued his strong play, switching to defending Alex Potter and managing to pick up steals and fast break points. The game remained close throughout the second half but Flyers were able to keep Tigers at bat to hold on to win, 85-78.

The win sees Flyers progress into the second round of the National Cup.  They will face Division two side Myerscough College away from home on Sunday, September 30th. The Myerscough team will feature ex-Flyers junior Corey Samuels alongside Deng Camp #1 ranked player Mate Okros.