Banner image


Owen Parker


Posted Saturday, October 20th 2018

Report: Bristol Flyers II 80-85 Oxford Brookes University

Bristol Flyers II were eliminated from the National Shield competition after a loss to Oxford Brookes University.

Flyers were led by David Mann with 23 points and Captain Roy Owen with 21 points. Flyers failed to contain Brookes’ new addition R. Asad who had a double-double of 32 points and 13 assists.



Oxford brought a largely different roster to the team Flyers II defeated in their league opener. Their sharp shooting import point guard K. Thomas (who did 41 points of damage last time out) was on the bench, replaced by Jamie Furlong.

Flyers II faced Furlong multiple times last season in Division Four when he ran the point for Oxford City Hoops. Brookes’ import slot was taken over by Asad who proved to be just as capable a scorer as Thomas in the early going. He took advantage of sluggish defence from Flyers to get to the rim for easy scores.

Mann picked up two early fouls as he contended with his rival import player. A switch of defensive assignments helped to limit Asad’s looks, but he then proved an effective distributor too. Flyers offence was clicking better than in recent games and the sides looked evenly matched as the first half closed on a 44-44 score line.

Flyers came out strong in the second half with multiple players getting into the paint for easier scores. Mann made a huge play at the end of the third with a steal and lay-up. A foul was called against Furlong on the shot and he then also picked up a technical which saw him exit the game. Mann converted both free throws to complete a four point play and put Flyers up five. Asad answered with a three-pointer to close the quarter 65-63. 

Coach Khan made a switch to zone defence to start the fourth period and while this was effective in keeping the visitors scoreless for the first two minutes of the period, Flyers were unable to convert stops into scoring at the other end. The momentum shifted to Oxford as they began to move the ball through the zone defence and find scores to retake the lead.

Flyers recognised that the change was no longer effective and went back to man to man. They began to produce scoring but still looked porous on defence as Brookes continued to score points in the paint. Brookes managed to obtain an 80-81 lead with under a minute to play. Flyers were unable to execute out of a time out and had to resort to fouling to regain possession. Brookes were able to seal their win at the free throw line.

Coach Khan reflected: “We were missing several key players due to injury and we just could not get over the line in our Shield match. We have a couple of weeks off now and that will help us regroup and hopefully allow our players to recover from their injuries. We hope to be rested and ready for our important league matches in November.”

Mann said: “We lost this game for a lot of reasons but I feel largely because we did not play with energy. We have to go back to basics and start playing with purpose and energy again. Energy and enthusiasm are contagious!”

Flyers II get back to league competition away against Swindon Shock on Saturday November 10th. They are not back at home until Saturday December 1st when they host Cardiff Met Archers at WISE (5.30pm tip-off).