Banner image


Owen Parker


Posted Saturday, March 2nd 2019

Report: Bristol Flyers II 76-70 Barking Abbey

Bristol Flyers II completed a comeback victory against Barking Abbey at the SGS College Arena.

The win marks seven wins in a row for the second team, who are now up to third in Division Three South with a 10-4 record. Rhys Farrell led all scorers with 17 points and added a team high seven rebounds. David Mann had a huge fourth quarter and was instrumental in taking control of the game; he totalled 15 points with 11 coming in the final period.



Barking got off to a hot start. Stephen Akpan made a strong early drive to the basket. Flyers’ player coach Roy Owen stayed composed and found Farrell inside for an easy two. Jude Carmichael hit a three-pointer to put the visitors back in the lead. Flyers’ Captain Jordan Daniels answered with a triple of his own.

A couple of Flyers turnovers proved costly and second chance points from Barking’s Captain Thomas Sowoolu and another three from Ayo Amolegbe put the visitors ahead. Mann connected with Farrell in the paint for another lay-up, but more outside shooting from Barking, this time by Flynn Boardman-Raffet, extended the lead.

Sowoolu was an active force on the offensive glass all game and another putback lay-up added to his eventual 13 point, 14 rebound total. A Flyers turnover led to a breakaway score through a foul for Jude Carmichael and he sank the free-throw to complete the three point play.

Image Credit - Zoe Chidlow

Barking had quickly built a ten point lead, but Flyers’ fortitude in the face of adversity shone through. Mann made two huge blocks on the defensive end while contagious ball movement found multiple Flyers getting open looks from beyond the arc. Mann, Farrell and Daniels all connected from distance to bring the game close. With substitutes for both sides rotating in, Nestor Saa and Louis Luparello kept the score flowing as the quarter drew to a close 22-23.

Both teams picked up their defensive intensity going into the second period and the easy looks started to dry up. Farrell made a trip to the line and Jack Craggs broke the dry spell with a lay-up off a dime from Daniels. More outside shooting from Barking saw them pull ahead but Owen seized control of the game making a two-play with a steal and fast break lay-up. On the next offence Owen drew a foul and sank both free throws to tie the game 34-34 heading into half-time.

Flyers came out energised and Owen and Louis Luparello scored on drives to the basket. Mann and Daniels made trips to the foul line but scoring from Akpan and Amolegbe kept it close. Farrell was able to unlock Barking’s zone defence by establishing great post position and was rewarded with two lay-ups. Back-to-back three-pointers from Oliver Malungo to close out the quarter put Flyers back in a hole 47-54.

Image Credit - Zoe Chidlow

The game looked to be slipping away from Flyers as Carmichael completed another three point play after being fouled on a strong drive to the basket. Mann stepped up and hit two huge three-pointers to swing the momentum back.

Flyers found success playing at pace with Owen and Luparello making forays into the paint for scores. Barking were able to make multiple trips to the free throw line to keep it close. Daniels found Luparello for another drive and high-flying finish. Farrell completed another play with a lay-up off a pass from Luparello and Flyers began to build a lead. Mann made a crucial steal, taking the ball from Malungo and hitting the trailing Luparello for another easy two.

Barking capitalised with Akpan and Sowoolyu scoring in the paint to make it a one point game. Mann hit another huge three-pointer and Flyers team defence forced a backcourt violation to restore the cushion heading into the final minute.

Another key steal from Mann led to a lay-up and Barking were forced to foul to recover possession. Owen was calm in the clutch, converting four free-throws and making another big steal. He had a game altering double-double with 12 points and 11 assists. Hot shooting from Amolegbe down the stretch with two more made threes came too late. Daniels sealed the win with a final pair of free-throws, 76-70.