Banner image


Owen Parker


Posted Monday, October 21st 2019

Report: Bristol Flyers II 72-63 Sheffield Hallam Sharks

Bristol Flyers II claimed a home victory over the visiting Sheffield Hallam Sharks in NBL Division Two North.

Curtly Ferguson led Flyers with a 15 point, 16 rebound double-double performance after spending last year playing in Italy.



Flyers got off to a strong start behind scoring from Pasquale Landolfi, a graduate of the club’s junior programme. Sharks found answers from their ex-BBL squad member Jacob Cauthorn who was similarly effective at attacking the basket and drawing fouls.

Sharks took their first lead with Flyers struggling to connect on multiple possessions. Flyers Captain Roy Owen came up with an early steal and found Ferguson on the fast break for a score. Flyers would amass 21 steals over the course of the game and score 24 points from turnovers. With a challenging shooting night generating, these extra possessions through defence was key to being able to stay ahead of the visitors. 


Landolfi stayed hot throughout the opening quarter, splashing a pair of three-pointers to give Flyers back the lead. With bench scoring coming from returning Flyers player Jermaine Major and new addition Kuda Mubaiwa, Flyers were able to close out the quarter with a small lead, 21-19.

Flyers’ shooting woes extended to the free throw line with multiple players struggling to capitalise on early foul trouble for the visitors in the second quarter. Flashes of defensive intensity were again key to the Flyers’ success, with Aiden Khan coming in off the bench and reading the passing lanes to grab multiple steals. The pace of the game increased and Sharks were able to get scores in transition to retake the lead. 

With their lead erased, Marvin Dinnall stepped up, distributing the ball well and getting good looks on the perimeter for Owen and Maciej Gniady. Dinnall dazzled with a steal and fast break lay-up, but Flyers were slow to get back on defence and a fast break alley-oop dunk for Sharks centre Oscar Baldwin prompted a time out.

With the teams trading baskets, Coach Chris Bourne took his second time out late in the quarter and Dinnall found Ferguson to close out the quarter 42-35.


A strong start to the second half saw Ferguson and Landolfi adding to their totals while Sharks struggled to score. New starting centre Lukasz Kubik had sat for much of the first half with foul trouble, allowing UWE student Adrian Wallace-Scott to pick up extended minutes. The Flyers bench were again able to extend the lead with Major and Mubaiwa connecting to end the third quarter 57-44.

With Sharks’ offence renewed in the fourth period, Flyers veteran Jack Craggs was key in stemming the bleeding, cleaning up the offensive glass for a put-back lay-up and scoring off a nice dime from Owen.

Cauthorn was able to cut the lead to five points with another strong drive to the basket, but Ferguson answered with a crucial three pointer. Ferguson’s defence was crucial down the stretch and his lateral quickness allowed him to draw two offensive fouls to give his team much needed defensive stops.


Owen turned from distributor to scorer in crunch time, making crucial baskets to keep the game out of Sharks’ reach. Flyers held on for a 72-63 victory.

The win sees them maintain an unbeaten home record and improve to 2-1 in their inaugural season in Division Two. They will be back in action at the SGS WISE Campus on Saturday November 9th against Derbyshire Arrows (3.30pm tip-off).