Banner image

Report: Bristol Flyers 83-89 Surrey Scorchers

Bristol Flyers were unable to claim their second win of the weekend, narrowly missing out to the visiting Surrey Scorchers.

The scores were level at 79 with a minute and a half to play, until Chaed Wellian and Tayo Ogedengbe hit back-to-back threes to seal it for the Scorchers.

Justin Gray had a superb game with 21 points, eight rebounds and five assists, whilst Daniel Edozie added a 12 point, 14 rebound double-double.



Ogendengbe was locked in and red hot from the start of the game. He poured in 18 points in the first quarter alone and was a problem for the Flyers defence both on the perimeter and in the paint. Flyers were able to keep pace with the scoring onslaught, initially with Marcus Delpeche sinking a hook shot in traffic and Fred Thomas following up with a triple.

The lead continued to grow with Scorchers torching Flyers from the outside. Ogendengbe completed a rare four-point play and was sent back to the foul line multiple times as the quarter drew to a close, earning the away team a 16-26 lead at the end of the first.

Flyers battled hard through the second to eat into the deficit. Chris Taylor kept the offence humming, finding his team mates for good looks. Gray dialed in from three, hitting from distance twice. Delpeche beat his defender down court for a huge dunk to close out the quarter, drawing a shooting foul on the play. Taylor responded with a trip to the line of his own to make it 42-45 at the half.

Thomas came out firing in the third. He hit an early pull-up and later followed with a big three-pointer to tie the game. Thomas then gave Flyers their first lead with a pair of free throws after drawing contact on a pull-up. Scorchers showed their resolve with an 8-0 run in response, punctuated by a fast break dunk from Joe Junior Mvuezolo.

Quincy Taylor fouled Gray on his next attempt from long range and Gray made all three free throws to tie the game once more. Taylor redeemed himself with a drive and kick to Caylin Raftopoulos for a dagger three from the corner as the buzzer sounded to make it 64-67. 

Gray looked to reinvigorate the defence with a high flying block on a Taylor lay-up attempt. Edozie was able to tie the game with under two minutes remaining, wheeling past his defender from the low post and showing a soft touch off the glass. With 90 seconds to play, Scorchers new signing Wellian and Captain Ogendengbe broke Fyers hearts with back-to-back threes to retake the momentum.

Flyers were forced to resort to tactical fouls with the clock against them. A final Coach Kapoulas time out led to an alley-oop for Thomas, but Scorchers made their foul shots to hold on for the win.