Banner image

Report: Bristol Flyers 77-82 Worcester Wolves

Despite a team-high 22 points from Greg Streete, Flyers' BBL play-off hopes were snuffed out by the visiting Worcester Wolves, losing 77-82. 

Flyers entered the game facing the gruelling task of needing to go 4-0 to finish the season in order to qualify for the BBL play-offs for the second straight season.

The home team went straight to work going on an early 12-4 run to open the quarter. It started with Tyrone Lee, hitting a circus shot from behind the backboard, then a long two by Streete followed by back to back three-pointers from Doug McLaughlin Williams.

In an effort to slow down the furious offensive rally, Wolves called a time out. The visitors came storming back into the quarter, with high pressure defence, forcing more turnovers and scoring on the break. 

Worcester's Jay Cousinard capitalised on this with a two-handed slam dunk. Wolves' high pressure defence continued to trouble Flyers, allowing the visitors to close the gap. Despite the home team shooting 56%, they only led 23-20 after the first. 

The offensive success continued into the second quarter for both teams. Flyers attacked from the three point line, shooting seven from 11 for the half. Wolves countered this by quick ball movement and finding high percentage shots inside. As Flyers were finding their stroke from outside, it stretched Wolves' defence. This allowed more space to drive to the basket, helping Flyers build a steady lead.  

On his way to 14 first half points, Streete connected on two long three-pointers. However, Wolves' defence continued to work hard and was able to temporarily put a stop to the Bristol offence. As Flyers committed two 24 second shot clock violations, the half closed 43-37.

Wolves defence came back even stronger in the second half, as they implemented a full court press. Worcester forced multiple turnovers early in the third. The visitors also began to score with greater regularity, Wolves' Perris Blackwell connected with Javier Mugica on an over head no-look pass for wide open lay up.

Worcester put together a run that saw them take the lead for the first time in the game. Wolves took a slender lead heading into the fourth quarter, 58-63.

Flyers started the final quarter surprisingly flat, turning the ball over, unable to beat the Wolves tough defence. Flyers struggled to get into their offence, with Wolves methodically working to ball around for timely scores, keeping their slender lead.  As the game entered it's final moments, any flicker of a Bristol come back was silenced by a Wolves score.

Bristol went on a late run with two straight three-pointers, closing the gap to just three points. Flyers fouled to make Worcester earn the points from the free throw line, but Mugica converted on both free throws to seal Bristol's fate. In a heartbreaking loss, Bristol walked off their home court, defeated 77-82.

Click here to view the box score.