Banner image

Report: Bristol Flyers 73-76 Worcester Wolves

Bristol Flyers fell short of completing a comeback against the visiting Worcester Wolves.

Daniel Edozie led the way with an efficient 19 point, 10 rebound double-double.  



Flyers fell behind early. They generated good looks at the basket but could not convert. Wolves powered ahead through the post play of Mike Parks Jr, who scored their first three baskets.

Flyers got a respite as Parks and Williams misfired from the foul line and Marcus Delpeche opened the scoring with a well practiced hook shot. Teddy Okereafor found Eric Lockett for a driving lay-up and then splashed a three-pointer of his own. Edozie closed out the quarter with a three point play, sinking a lay-up and a foul shot to make it 16-18.

Josh Wilcher made his long awaited Flyers debut and got straight to work, stealing the ball allowing Delpeche to score with a post move. Back to back three pointers from Wolves Captain Maarten Bouwknecht restored the margin. Delpeche completed a lay-up through contact off a high-low pass from Justin Baker and finished the three-point play at the foul line. Shot making got away from Flyers for another two minute spell and Wolves again extended their lead. 

Coach Kapoulas called a timeout and got things back on track. Lockett fought his way to the foul line. Ben Mockford connected with Delpeche for a dunk and Flyers seemed to have unlocked the Worcester defence. Lockett kept finding lanes to the basket and Mockford was able to turn the corner off a screen and get his own three-point play. Bouwknecht tied up the quarter with a corner three on the final possession making it 32-37.

Edozie came out from the break firing - connecting on back to back shots from the short corner. Jordan Williams took over from Parks and showed his range of moves. KJ Lawson extended the Wolves’ lead to ten points with a pair of free throws. Mockford showed his floor spacing ability with a three-pointer and Josh Rogers followed up with a triple of his own. Brandon Anderson got hot for Wolves late in the third quarter, scoring successive baskets to close out the period 50-58.

Anderson stretched the lead back to double digits with a push shot in the lane. Lockett followed his own miss and drew a shooting foul on a tip-in attempt. Second chance points continued to flow for Flyers, with Edozie cleaning the glass and laying the ball home. Lockett went coast to coast for a lay-up then kept the quick scores coming with a steal and pass ahead to Okereafor to cut the lead to two points.

Josh McSwiggan got past his man with a pump fake and soared in for a dunk to give Worcester back the momentum. Josh Wilcher showed his offensive versatility with a three-pointer and mid-range two, but the teams were trading scores.

Flyers tightened up on defence and were able to produce successive stops. A driving lay-up from Raphell Thomas-Edwards and a trip to the foul line for Mockford saw them close the margin to one point with under a minute remaining. Anderson was the hero for the visitors, knocking down a much needed mid-range jump shot. Flyers missed the chance to tie the game up with a corner three, but Thomas-Edwards made multiple efforts to recover the ball and score a lay-up. 

With time now a factor, Flyers fouled Anderson to recover possession and he coolly converted both free throws. Coach Kapoulas used his timeouts to plan an offence but an early Wolves foul sent Wilcher to the free throw line. He hit both, but Anderson answered to keep the margin at three points. With under ten seconds left Wilcher was able to get the ball up court and find a reasonable look at the basket, but could not connect to force overtime.