Banner image

Report: Bristol Flyers 72-77 Worcester Wolves

Bristol Flyers fell just short in a closely contested match-up with the visiting Worcester Wolves. 

Daniel Edozie gave the team a huge boost off the bench with 16 points and 7 rebounds.



Marcus Delpeche started strong, winning the opening tip and then sealing off under the basket for a lay-up. Maarten Bouwknecht troubled the defence early and often, driving in for a lay-up and assisting Josh McSwiggan on a mid-range score. Buckets from Lamar Kimble and Mike Parks Jr. gave Wolves their first lead of the game, but Eric Lockett responded with a three point play to tie it back up.

The teams traded baskets as Coach Kapoulas rotated in his bench. Edozie checked and sank a hook shot, then showed off his midrange game with a free throw line jumper. A freshly reinstated Lockett closed out the quarter with a tough fadeaway shot to put Flyers ahead 18-16.

Josh Rogers made impactful plays at both ends early in the second period. He assisted an Edozie elbow jumpshot, blocked a put back attempt. and drove from the corner for a lay-up. Okereafor checked back in and remained perfect from outside the arc, knocking down a second three-pointer to force a Wolves timeout. Coach Newby got the response he was looking for with his team generating turnovers and putting together a 6-0 run to retake the lead. 

A spot up three from Elijah Burns caused Coach Kapoulas to call time. Lockett stepped up with a pull-up jumpshot and an assist to Edozie for a three point play. Edozie put back a miss next time down to edge his team ahead. A coast to coast score form Bouwknecht gave Wolves a 34-35 lead at half-time.

Flyers locked in on defence producing multiple steals and transition scores early in the third period. A big block from Justin Baker led to a lay-up at the other end and Coach Newby again needed to talk things over. Wolves came out of the timeout with Kimble and McSwiggan hitting from distance. A dunk from Jordan Williams reclaimed the lead. Flyers matched the Wolves output but were unable to produce defensive stops to fuel another run. A drive and turnaround jump shot at the elbow from Rogers was Flyers last score of the quarter. Wolves finished strong with Kimble heating up to make it 52-59 after three periods.

Flyers battled back into the game with three-point shooting. Okereafor remained perfect from outside with another three and then assisted Baker for a pair of triples. Kimble and Bouwknecht stemmed the bleeding for the visitors. Edozie got back to work inside and coach Newby called a timeout with the lead down to four points with free throws to come.

Flyers reclaimed the lead with a three from Okereafor followed by a steal and transition three from Mockford. They seemed well poised to take over the game as they forced a 24 second violation next time out. Williams made a big defensive play to turn away Delpeche at the rim and Bouwknecht made a basket coming back the other way.

Flyers defence produced much needed stops but they could not capitalise with further scoring. After a pair of empty possessions they were forced to foul to regain the ball. Bouwknecht converted his free throws to make it a three point game. Coach Kapoulas called time and Flyers were able to get the ball to Okereafor, who missed from three-point range for the first time in the game. Bouwknecht finished off the win with a further pair of free throws to make it 77-72.