Banner image

Report: Bristol Flyers 57-84 London Lions

Bristol Flyers fell to their heaviest defeat of the season at home to London Lions, 57-84.

Doug McLaughlin-Williams soared with a team-high 14 points, but Bristol had no answer for London's Kai Williams, who scored a game-high 15 points.

Flyers hosted the London Lions at the SGS WISE arena five days after being knocked out of the BBL Cup away at Cheshire Phoenix. Leading scorer Cardell McFarland sat the game out with a sprained ankle, but Flyers looked to pull together for another home win.

The opening quarter started slowly, both teams struggling to convert a field goal. The deadlock was broken two minutes in, with a McLaughlin-Williams three-pointer. The Lions answered straight back with Jamal Williams a three-pointer of his own. The game's pace began to pick up, Tyrone Lee setting the tone early on with a head fake, spin and drive to the hole for the layup. Lee then managed to thread the needle with an assist to Daniel Edozie for the easy two points. With Bristol gaining confidence offensively, the Lions deployed a trap defence, but the Flyers ball movement beat it on back-to-back possessions. Despite shooting just 11% from the three point line, Flyers battled to close the quarter 15-18.

The second quarter began with the Lions posting up Demond Watt. Bulling inside for the score on his way to six points on 100% shooting for the half. London's trap defence was starting to pay off. When Bristol were patient with their ball movement, they were getting open shots, but just were not hitting them.

Not only were the Flyers shooting just 33% for the half, but struggling from the free throw line shooting a meagre 58%. To make matters worse, Tyrone Lee was taken off, walking gingerly after a block attempt and would not return for the game. The half finished 32-42.

The visitors began the third with back-to-back three-pointers putting the Flyers in an early second-half 13 point hole. A timely step back two from McLaughlin-Williams ignited a run from the Flyers. A Roy Owen finger roll and three converted free throws from McLaughlin-Williams cut the deficit to five.

Another sell-out saw the home crowd as deafening as ever at the SGS WISE Arena as the fans came alive with this Flyers run. The comeback proved short-lived however, as the game became chippy. After an altercation between Greg Streete and Lions' Jamal Williams, a triple technical foul was called, on Coach K , Streete and Williams.

Flyers found themselves trailing 51-70 three minutes into the fourth quarter as the team struggled without their two new American imports. By the middle of the fourth, it was evident that the Flyers would not come away with the W. The basketball seemingly refusing to drop on every jump shot, layup or tip-in attempt. Bristol's third quarter run became a distant memory, as their shooting returned to the dismal 29%.

Smelling blood, the Lions' second unit finished the game, handing the Flyers their seventh loss of the season 57-84.