Banner image

Report: Glasgow Rocks 99-82 Bristol Flyers

Bristol Flyers suffered a fourth defeat in a row, crushed by the Rocks 99-82 on the road in Glasgow. 

Having trailed at 11 points at the half, the Flyers rallied back in the third to knock down five straight threes to take the lead, but a 15-3 response from the hosts maintained their 100% winning record in 2019.

A superb offensive performance by Fred Thomas saw him lead all scorers with 27 points including five made threes. Jalan McCloud added 15 points and five assists. 



Kenny Carpenter was a problem in the early goings to score a quick seven points in the first five minutes of the game. He was complemented by scoring from the Rocks’ British bigs early with Kieron Achara getting to the line and Ali Fraser breaking through for a lay-up. 

Despite the hot start, Flyers were able to chase the lead with drives from McCloud and dunks from Thomas and Chris Taylor. Mike Vigor made his first start since rejoining the team, facing off against several of his Commonwealth teammates and showed his ability to stretch the floor early, hitting a three-pointer off the dish from McCloud.

Coach Kapoulas rotated in Panos Mayindombe, Lewis Champion and Justin Gray and the second unit kept pace with the scoring from the home team as the clock ran down on a tough first quarter.

Gray, returning from an ankle injury, was able to get to the line for two free throws of his own but Rocks stayed hot inside and out with a Pryor three and Ziegler lay-up keeping them ahead 26-20.

Mayindombe and Tevin Falzon were able to connect from outside to bring the game close. Pryor his deadly shooting for the home side, with back-to-back threes of his own. Both sides went cold for two minutes before Bunyan entered the game and immediately hit a baseline three. Flyers’ usually tight defence was allowing the visitors numerous open looks. The lead at half-time reflected the ease of Rocks scoring, Flyers down 44-33.

Flyers came out of the locker room re-energised and took their turn at heating up from the outside. The visitors went on a 12-0 run with five made threes to seize the lead. Murray hit a three in response to stem the bleeding. Achara and Murray showed their own long range capabilities with threes late in the quarter to see Rocks back up 72-64.

Further deadly shooting from the Rocks saw the lead balloon to 20 points in the fourth quarter as the Flyers were unable to close in on the home side. Rocks outscored Flyers 27-18 in the period to seal the win, finishing the game 99-82.