Banner image

Report: Cheshire Phoenix 100-97 Bristol Flyers

Cheshire Phoenix kept the play-off race alive as they came out on top in an incredible game at the Cheshire Oaks Arena.

Malcolm Riley made the three on the buzzer to give Phoenix what could prove to be a vital win.

Phoenix were led by a destructive performance by CJ Gettys who ended the game with 32 points, 16 rebounds and seven assists, whilst Rohndell Goodwin led the way for Flyers with 19 points.

Box score

What Happened

Flyers lost the tip and the ball was worked to Gettys under the rim who went to work and put the ball in.

Adam Weary got Flyers on the board in the next possession with a three despite a hand in his face, his first of two for the quarter.

A huge block from Gettys helped Phoenix on their way to three striaght scoring possessions without reply.

Malcolm Delpeche broke the sequence with a nice lay-up to keep Flyers within five.

Flyers were finding joy driving to the basket, Weary and Boggs avoiding traffic to to get two lay-ups in quick succession.

It was Gettys however who was the driving force in the first quarter, grabbing ten points, five rebounds and two assists as Cheshire took a 29-17 lead heading into the second.

With Leslee Smith added to an already lengthy absentee list through injury, Phoenix were finding it easy in the paint, stretching their lead out to 17 points three minutes into the second.

Flyers just couldn't handle Gettys, with the big American left with the freedom of Cheshire to emphatically slam Phoenix 20 points up.

Bristol were looking for a spark to get them going. If there is any man in the Flyers ranks to offer that, it's Brandon Boggs.

The American grabbed two dunks on the break to ignight Flyers and put them on an 18-6 run to silence the Phoenix crowd.

The score a lot closer at the half, 46-38.

Cheshire began the second half with a higher intensity than they finished the first with, building their lead back into double-digits.

Weary was finding his range from distance, hitting a three after some good ball movement, before Jordan Davis got a three of his own to get Flyers back within six.

Flyers defence was doing well with full court pressure to make things tough on the offence for Phoenix. A defensive rebound was snatched by Weary with the ball getting worked to Boggs at the other end to sink the three and get that home lead down to just three.

Cheshire went straight up the other end to grab a three but Flyers showed their fighting spirit as Adam Weary made the And-1 play.

Marcus Delpeche then drew the foul on a dunk to make it a two-point game as the clock wound down in the third.

The third ended with incredible scenes as Goodwin hit a half-court buzzer beater despite being under intense pressure from the Phoenix defence to put Flyers up 70-71.

Phoenix showed some grit of their own in the fourth, Devan Bailey fighting his way through some tremendous Flyers defence to make the lay-up.

Cheshire were pressing the full court, forcing Jordan Davis into an eight-second violation.

Davis made amends on the next play, sinking the three from downtown after Flyers had claimed the defensive rebound.

Phoenix again pushed on, getting themselves into a six-point lead with four minutes left on the clock.

But Flyers were right there with them, Weary stealing the ball from Gettys before Boggs got fouled on his lay-up attempt to have a chance from the free
throw line to make it into a one possession game once again.

Boggs showed icy veins to sink both with ease, 86-84.

Cheshire again upped the tempo, forcing Flyers into another eight-second violation, before the refs called a technical on Goodwin.

Robert Sandoval made the free throw but Cheshire wasted the possession and Davis was able to make the lay-up at the other end.

Bailey then fouled Goodwin as he attempted the three, the Flyers star making two of three to cut the home lead to one.

Some more excellent Flyers defence forced Riley into the three attempt. Unfortunately for Bristol, Riley's shot was good and Nick Burns called a
timeout with 55 seconds left on the clock.

Both sides put one another to the free throw line with all four dropping, another timeout called with Phoenix up by five with 25 seconds on the clock.

Following the timeout Boggs got the And-1, with yet another timeout called.

Flyers stole possession and Malcolm Delpeche made the jump shot to tie the game.

Late heartbreak hit Flyers however as Riley sunk the three on the buzzer to spark jubilant scenes at the Cheshire Oaks Arena.

Next home game

Bristol Flyers v Sheffield Sharks
BBL Championship
Tuesday, April 17th (7.30pm)