Banner image

Game Recap » Glasgow Rocks 95-90 Bristol Flyers (OT)

Bristol Flyers fell short of the BBL Cup semi-final, after a 95-90 overtime defeat to the Glasgow Rocks.

Mike Miller, led the team in scoring with 22 points, closely followed by Marcus Evans who finished with 18.

Trejon Jacob posted an impressive 12 rebounds, to lead the game, meanwhile, Rocks centre, Ali Fraser led all scorers with 26 points.



The Rocks came out of the gate firing on all cylinders, earning a block on a strong defensive possession that quickly led to a transition dunk for Fraser. Flyers answered back with a quick inside bucket on some fancy footwork from Malcolm Delpeche. Both teams continued trading buckets until a strong sequence on both ends of the floor from Flyers’ Raphell Thomas-Edwards, aided by the three-point shooting of Bristol’s backcourt tandem of Jacob and Evans, gave the Bristol the first clear-cut lead of the game. Rocks couldn’t close the gap, ending the first quarter 24-20 to Flyers. 

Solid ball movement led to a pair of Jordan Harris threes to start the second quarter as the Rocks closed the gap early. Flyers struggled initially to find the bottom of the net until a couple of big and-one baskets from Delpeche and Thomas-Edwards sparked the team’s offence. After a few tit-for-tat baskets, Fraser tied the game at 38 apiece with an and-one play of his own, sinking the free-throw. Delpeche came back with a big baseline dunk. However, Jaycee Hillman would get the last word with a couple of big shots to put the Rocks up 43-42 going into the half.

Evans opened the scoring for the flyers in the third on a dazzling move to split the defence, beating another defender on his way to the cup for the lay in. Neither team could seem to gain an edge, though, as both sides poured on the score until Mike Miller extended the Flyers lead by five with a pull-up three. Evans found his way inside with a floater over the big man, but some sloppy play from Flyers saw them head into the final period down one off the back of a hot-handed Fraser. 

Bristol could not find an answer for the big man, who picked up right where he left off. Miller put on a show with a couple of flashy moves to the hole. Delpeche put on a show of his own, rocking the rim off the bullet pass from Jacob. After a scrappy period of play, a clutch three brought the Rocks to within one with fifteen seconds left. Josh Rogers knocked down a couple of free throws to extend the lead to three for the Flyers, but it wasn’t enough as one more clutch shot from the Rocks sent the game to overtime. Glasgow stretched their hot streak out into overtime, making the first couple of buckets. Ultimately, it came down to who wanted it more. Bristol failed to secure rebounds, turned the ball over and fell short in overtime 95-90. 


Both teams struggled to gain an edge in this contest. Every time Flyers started to pull away, Glasgow would come right back with a run of their own. However, it was the clutch shooting of Glasgow that would send the game to overtime and drastically turned the tide.  

The final minute of the fourth was full of action. It was clear both teams wanted the win as blue and white jerseys swarmed for the loose ball off the Glasgow miss, but it was Bristol who would come up the beneficiary of the jump ball thanks to sparkplug, Malcolm Delpeche. They were unable to capitalise, but with the score 82-80, and little time on the clock, the Rocks were forced to foul. Jacob was sent to the line and secured the free points. Rocks forward, Gareth Murray stepped into a contested three and sunk it. Next to the line for Bristol was Josh Rogers who also proved reliable. However, it was too little too late, as Glasgow was able to move the ball and create a wide open three-point opportunity. The shot dropped and Bristol wasn’t able to find their footing in overtime.


Marcus Evans posted a near triple-double, dropping 18 points, 8 rebounds and 10 assists. Evans proved a reliable source of offence, as he diced the defence with his flashy ball handling and pinpoint passing all game.


Free throws were a key factor in this loss for Bristol. The Flyers shot 68% from the stripe, knocking down 11/18 overall. On the other end of the floor, the Rocks shot a trustworthy 78% on 18/23. Shooting in general proved to be the downfall as Bristol were only able to hit seven shots from downtown, while the opposition made 11. Positively, Flyers led the game in rebounding 56-50. Still, both teams posted nine second chance points.

Brsitol’s bench unit was big in this game, adding 32 points while Glasgow posted 20 bench points. Miller was the instant offence responsible, leading the team in total scoring. He also provided some much-needed defence, grabbing four defensive rebounds and blocking two shots. Both teams were neck and neck in points off turnovers with nine. However, Bristol struggled to hold onto the ball in this one, giving it up a total of 12 times versus Glasgow’s nine.  



The Flyers will head off to Glasgow once again on Friday, November 19th for a shot at revenge in front of the Sky Sports Cameras, before returning home to face the Surrey Scorchers at SGS College Arena on Friday, December 3rd.